Tuesday, March 27, 2012

20 lbs lighter!

Finally...I have reached the 20 lb mark in my weight loss journey!

Things that have changed along with my weight:

My grocery shopping list- I now make sure that I don't go to the grocery store hungry, I make sure I have a menu for the 2 weeks I am shopping for, and I also have a list. 
If I go to the grocery store hungry not only am I more likely to buy too much of something, junk food, or  something I might not want later but I am also way more likely to grab a Coke Zero and a snack at the check out. 
I also try to plan out a 2 week menu before I leave the house. I do "Shopping Sunday" every other Sunday afternoon. In this one trip I try to buy everything we will need for 2 weeks worth of meals. If we run out of a necessity like milk or bread, then one of us can pick it up on the way home from work; if we run out of something else we just have to suck it up and wait until the next shopping Sunday. This has not only helped us eat healthier but has also helped our bank account! We were the world's worst about running to the store every other night to grab something for dinner...and of course while we were there we would be buying other things we didn't need...and wasting gas by driving to the store so often! 
I am an avid grocery list checker offer! I have a routine at the grocery store...I start at the pet supplies every trip and end at the produce section. Even though my shopping routine is down to a science I still have my list and pen in hand. This helps me make sure that I am not buying anything we don't need and not forgetting to buy anything that we do need.

My thought process when I am preparing meals- I don't constantly snack while cooking. If I feel hungry before I start cooking I'll have an apple or another low point snack. This way I don't feel the urge or necessity to snack or keep tasting the food I am preparing. 
I also have a pretty consistent menu for my lunch. I pack my lunch everyday, this keeps me from eating snacks at work or buying lunch from the cafeteria. I am pretty picky, predictable, and boring with my foods...so everyday I have some sort of sandwich or wrap, a string cheese, an apple or other piece of fruit, and a Greek yogurt. By planning my lunches I keeps me on track and I wont be shocked at the end of the day when I track all my points. 
We do still eat out at least once a week...and although I try to make wise decisions at restaurants I am sometimes shocked when I later look up the nutritional information. But instead of stressing about the one meal I just choose to use it as a learning experience and use less points in other meals or snacks that day.

My feelings about exercising- Ok, so maybe my feelings haven't changed too much. I still don't like to exercise or work out but I know I need to do it to reach my weight loss goals, to get healthier, and to live a healthier life. On average I go to the gym about 2 days a week and exercise for a little over an hour, including warm ups and cool downs. I am still working in some of the weight routines John has shown me. I am not as confident when it comes to these...I know this is something I just need to get in there and do in order to become confident and comfortable.

Although my ultimate weight loss goal is weigh more than 20 lbs...I am excited that I am making progress and I am celebrating my small victories! Thank you to everyone who has been kind and encouraging on this journey...especially my husband! I love you!

P. S. I got new gym shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment